Please continue to pray for Karsie!
I want to take just a moment to tell you about some of the recent blessings we've received. Back on June 19 I wrote a blog about God being in control. I said:
Because of donations small and large, we have been able to continue our fight. God Is In Control of Things Number Three. To let you all know, we are almost out of money. I'm only saying that so that you can watch with me as the Lord does something awesome. I promise I'll write about it when it happens.
Donations slowed, although we were incredibly grateful for the amounts we were receiving. The account holding the remainder of our loan drained itself quickly. Still, we prayed. The last two weeks have been incredible.
1. We've been on a payment plan with Jennifer's* lawyer. In April, right about the time we entered into this payment plan, Troy received a raise of approximately $200 dollars a month. With me being a stay at home mom, we were using everything Troy brought in each month to pay our bills and eat and such. We agreed to pay Jennifer's lawyer the amount of Troy's raise and keep everything else the way it was. When I paid her this month, we still owed her $3575. We were at the point where we needed to enter into a payment plan with our lawyer in California. I really didn't want to have several payment plans so I asked Jennifer's lawyer if we might be able to drain the rest of our adoption fund, pay her $3000 and call it even. That way, we use what we currently pay her to pay our lawyer each month. She agreed, essentially giving us a $575 gift toward our adoption.
2. Our lawyer was willing to set up a payment plan. I called and asked what he usually requires on a monthly basis. When I heard the reply, "500," my heart heart momentarily sank and I wondered how in the world we'd be able to continue paying him. But then I heard, "But we'll work with you. What can you do?" And my offer of $200 was accepted.
3. We received $100 dollars from a couple at church.
4. We received $100 dollars given anonymously at church.
5. We received $20 dollars through my paypal account from someone at our previous church.
6. We received $50 dollars from an old and wonderful friend of mine. (And by old I mean that we've been friends for a long time, not that she actually is old.)
7. We received $75 dollars from a woman I have never met but we are quasi-related through marriage.
8. We received $150 dollars from dear friends.
9. My parents bought us a bed and mattress for our 3 year old so that Matthew could move out of the Pack n Play and into the crib.
10. My parents bought us $100 dollars worth of groceries while they were here.
I think that is it for the past two weeks (in terms of financial donations) but please forgive me if you're reading this and I have somehow forgotten yours. We have had times of feast and we have had times of famine. The last two weeks have definitely been a time of feast and we are ever so thankful to those who have generously contributed. The Lord has used you in a mighty way to bless us.
We will now be paying our California lawyer $200 a month. We hope that, eventually, we will also be incurring fees with our Utah lawyer as that would mean that he was working to finalize our adoption. In September, Garrett will start preschool. We had originally planned to use a major portion of Troy's raise to pay for Garrett's schooling. We are now praying for a way to pay both the lawyer and the preschool. We're confident that the Lord will provide. We would also like to begin slowly paying back my grandparents, who generously allowed us to spend their money in the first place--even though they aren't asking for it.
I promised to tell you all when we saw the Lord tangibly providing for us. He has. I know he will continue and I will share those blessings with you as well. Additionally, of course, he is providing strength for us through your faithful prayers. As we hear stories of those who are praying and as we see financial support trickling (and sometimes pouring) in, we remain convinced that, whatever the outcome, God wants us fighting on behalf of this child.
*Still not her real name.