Saturday, July 11, 2009

Papa v. Barney

Yesterday, after The Rock Star got up from his nap, we were watching The Brady Bunch. When it was over, a little commercial came on promoting The Andy Griffith Show. The short tag showed Barney Fife saying, in his classic voice, "You just gotta nip. You gotta nip. You gotta nip it in the bud. IN THE BUD!" When it was over, Garrett turned to me and squealed.

G: That looks like my PAPA!
Me: (dissolving into a fit of laughter and heading straight for the phone) It does?
G: Yeah!

When I relayed the story to my mom she asked me to ask him what about him looked like Papa. (For the record, my dad does NOT look like Barney Fife.)

Me: What about him looks like Papa?
G: His tar.
Me: His car?
G: No. His tar.
Me: (blank look)
G: On his shirt. Twinkle. Twinkle. (Pause) The tar!
Me: Oh! His star!
G: Yeah!
Me: (To my mom) His badge.

Yeah, well, my dad and old Barney have one thing in common. They are officer's of the law. Later, my dad called to ask me a question and when I answered the phone he replied, "Barney Fife here."

2 comments:

  1. I walked into church this morning and someone said, "Good Morning Mrs. Fife." Ewwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha~ "tar!" That's so adorable!
    My grandpa was also an officer. I wish I was able to see him alive. :(

    ReplyDelete