Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year

I used to love New Year's Eve, the thought of all that lay ahead in the days to come, the beauty of the blank slate, if you will. I could vow to exercise, stay away from chocolate, read my Bible every...single...day. The freedom was revitalizing and, let's face it, by the end of the year I was almost always in need of a recharge. New Year's Eve 2005 was, perhaps, the most exciting of all. I couldn't wait to welcome my firstborn in the summer. The last two years have been less than thrilling. Now that I'm a mom I almost hate saying goodbye to the year because it means that my son will never be sixteen months again. He'll never take his very first step. He'll never again see snow for the first time. Those moments belong to 2007, and have to be filed into the "Garrett Box" in my mind. They'll stay there until I succumb to senility and start referring to my son as Jake the pool boy or Grandpa George--which would be really strange since I don't even have a Grandpa George.

And it's strange but, with the way that my life changed during 2007, you'd think I'd want to shove the whole year into a lock box and stick it in my garage. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't praying for '08 to have a little more stability or hoping that maybe we would somehow find our way back home. But with all the ups and downs and all arounds of the past year I've gotten to the point where I've accepted that the Refiner's fire is going to burn but I'm ready to see just what the hands of the potter can do.

*********************************************************************************************
In other news, my son would like to use my blog to wish his buddy, Tristan, a very happy first birthday! Sorry we can't be there to sing to you~

4 comments:

  1. And why is it that the older we get, the faster the year flies by?? I guess when you compare playing with dolls to paying bills and working........that's how it flys by!!! It was great to see you again.............
    Lots of Love from
    Southern California,
    TRISH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, and YES, let's hope this one is relaxing and stress free! Hugs, Dena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandpa George makes me think of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Not such a good thing to think about with the new year and all the thoughts of a healthier life. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the birthday wishes, garrett!
    love, tristan :)

    ReplyDelete