Thursday, January 24, 2008

Enchanted

So, the husband and I went to see Enchanted the other day because my in-laws are visiting and they agreed to watch the wee one. The only real review I had heard was from my brother and well, let's just say that he isn't exactly the type to squeal and sob over a chick flick so, he did not have positive feelings toward the fairytaleish film.
Maybe it's because I have a toddler and cartoons are beginning to be a part of my life. Maybe it's because Stephen Schwartz wrote the lyrics to most of the songs. If you don't know who Schwartz is, think Godspell and Wicked. If that still means nothing to you, we're not friends anymore, but think Pocahontas and Prince of Egypt. Maybe it's because I think it would have been splendid fun to play Giselle (although I would not have named my lead female from fairy tale world that). Maybe it's because Idina Menzel plays Nancy. If that means nothing to you, think Tony Award winner for Best Actress in a musical for her role of Elphaba in the Broadway smash hit musical Wicked or for her Tony nominated role for Best Supporting Actress in Rent. If that still means nothing to you, think the wife of Taye Diggs. If that still means nothing to you, well, we are definitely not friends anymore because I'm pretty much in a deep heterosexual love with her. And I have been since 1999. I take great pride in the fact that I did not jump on the bandwagon of loving her when she put on green paint and belted Defying Gravity. Nope. This obsession has endured the test of time. Maybe it's because I still believe in a world where people break into choreographed song and dance at random points throughout the day. But I really liked it.

And I've been singing How Do You Know ever since.

So here's what I think. I think that if you have little kids you should definitely see it. Although there is this slightly freaky dragon sequence toward the end that would be scary. Not to mention, completely unnecessary. I think that if you like musicals you should see it. I think if you are a 24 year old male, you should probably not.

4 comments:

  1. Well, the 24 yr old male's girlfriend sure liked it. And appreciated that he "endured" it. I thought it was cute.

    P.S. I like how when you comment on this thing you can "choose an identity". Like maybe right now I choose to be Gweneth. Or Henrietta. Or Heather, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. confession....I didn't recognize most of the names you mentioned throughout, except that my neice was OVER the top about getting 'Wicked' tickets for Christmas and I, being her logical and VERY spiritual Auntie, thought that she shouldn't be going to ANYTHING with the title 'Wicked'....I was corrected and now appreciate my neice's love of all things theater. :o) (Bet you didn't know that about my neice, did ya?) Anyway, I did, take my family to see 'Enchanted' the week it came to the theater! Mind you, my two boys and husband actually wanted to go, but 1/4th of the way into the flick, they wanted to flee, as their mama was giggling uncontrolably and lovin' every sing-songy minute of it. Can't wait to buy it. OH, and I have subjected them to High School Musical 1 and 2 the last two nights, including the kareoke,(you're totally rolling your eyes at my spelling, aren't you?) where I'm singing and dancing along. :o) Oh, yeah, I'm cool, and I think this qualifies me to still be your friend....even though I'm old! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Gosh. Worst. Movie. Ever. Okay, maybe not ever, but honestly, not good. At one point, I thought it was going to end, but then I realized that Susan Sarandon had not been in it yet, and I knew I had at least ten minutes left. I died a little bit inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh. i guess we're not friends then. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete