Thursday, January 10, 2008

journey

My brother's Heather gave this frame to Troy and me for Christmas. (And hey, note to Jon and Heather, it would be totally awesome if you'd get engaged so I could say, "My brother's fiancee" or, even better, married, so that I could say, "My sister-in-law." But, whatever. I'll just keep referring to She-Who-Will-In-All-Probability-One-Day-Be-My-Sister-in-Law as My Brother's Heather.) Anyway, back to the frame. I love it. I got this particular image off of the Internet. Was anyone else wondering if Troy already got a second wife? Well he didn't. Not yet. Not ever, are you kidding me? I am more than enough wife for Troy to handle. So, no, we don't know that girl. But I want her jeans.

My in-laws had this verse hanging on their bathroom wall. During the time that I so desperately wanted a baby, each of Troy's three sisters birthed cuddly, cooing, offspring. Sometimes I think the only thing that got me through family gatherings was the fact that if I excused myself to the restroom, this verse would greet me.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I clung to that verse during those long months of waiting. And I cling to it now. I find it so incredibly appropriate that it was the verse chosen to accompany the word journey. Right there, smack in the middle of the Word is the promise not only that He knows the plans but that they are plans of prosperity, plans of hope, plans of future. It doesn't say, "You know the plans and they really stink," and I find comfort in that.

When Troy opened it I informed my brother's Heather that I was going to put a picture of a U-Haul in it. I didn't. I used this one instead.

We took this picture at my parents house on Thanksgiving Day. We moved five days later. I love this picture because we are sitting on the brink of our journey. We're staring out into the darkness and, far off, we see just a glimmer of light, a lamp to our feet. In the picture there is one person who is excited about the journey, one who is not, and one who has no idea that anything is about to happen. I like that the one who is less than thrilled is the one who is smiling the biggest. Maybe she's learned enough in this life to understand that God knows the plans He has for her. Maybe she's learned that in those plans she has hope. Maybe she's learned that it's really all about the journey.

So thanks, Heather. It was the perfect gift.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you liked it. I thought it was very fitting and encouraging, and hoped you guys would too. It's nice to know the history behind your liking of the verse though - I had just thought of your literal journey to Utah. Can't wait to see you soon.
    - Your brother's Heather lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. Lovely post.
    That verse is my life mantra. It's nice to know someone else feels the same. And also that you had to wait and wait to have a baby. I get that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, someday "My Heather" will become "Your sister-in-law." *Please note that neither the blogger nor commentor view Jon as actually owning Heather. Ownership is reserved for towels, or in biblical times, sheep and cows. Heather is not a towel, and she is definitely not a sheep or a cow. Please also note that this disclaimer just got a little ridiculous."

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are too sweet. and yes, the journey that HE gives, is all for your good, the HOPE, the precious HOPE we can only find in HIM, and it will NOT harm us. cling to it, girl, it's the best! and your comment on mine, you're too sweet (again) and yes, I remember all of it (except that you and Christina thought I was the cutest while pregnant with Calvin) wow, I just thought I was fat! :o) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete