Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election/Anniversary Day

I voted by absentee ballot and I just want to state, for the record, that I did not vote for my husband as was previously contemplated on this blog. I certainly considered it but, in the end, I decided that this is too important of an election to throw my vote away. Let me also state, for the record, that I do believe a third party vote during this particular election is ignorant. You can go ahead and vote third party if you want to. We can even still be friends. You can disagree with me entirely. But I really feel like this is one election where a third party vote is a very silly vote. And this is where I climb down off of my soap box and let the ballots do what they will. Oh, who am I kidding. This is where I step down off my soap box and let the electoral college do what they will.
***********************************************

Dear Mom & Dad,
Happy 30th Anniversary. Thanks for getting married and thanks for deciding to have me and thanks for doing it in that order. You've been a fantastic example of what it means to dedicate your life to someone until death separates you. Thank you for arguing on occasion, so that I didn't have incorrect views of marriage. But thanks for never throwing things at each other or leaving or threatening divorce. Thank you for agreeing on how to raise a family and for growing, all the time, in the Lord. Thank you for all the sacrifices you made on my behalf. I know it would have been easier to forget children altogether and spend your extra money on lavish vacations to the Swiss Alps and Barbados. Thank you for choosing to raise a family and go on camping trips instead. Thank you for the legacy you are creating. Thank you for keeping your vows--those same vows that starting breathing with Jon and me and now Garrett. I hope that you have a wonderful anniversary and I love you very much.

Sincerely,
The Oldest

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice anniversary post. I never really wanted to go to the Alps anyway......lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very disappointed that I could not even receive my own wife's vote.

    Husband.

    Ashby, you rock. Whether it was a throw-away vote or not, I'm sure it wasn't the deciding factor in a very blue rainy state. Maybe next election I can get you to vote for me since my own wife won't.

    ReplyDelete