Monday, August 4, 2008

The Little Man

So I am now obsessed with checking my poor kid's scalp ALLTHETIME! He sees me coming and he shakes his head and says, "No. No." And I'm even more obsessed with checking my own head. If I so much as feel a tingle or a minuscule itch I shove my head into Troy's lap and make him search for bugs. Thus far the incessant searching has turned up nothing on either cabeza. On Saturday there was a complete overhaul given to the church nursery. Toys were washed and carpets were steam cleaned. Still, I refrained from putting Lice Boy in there yesterday. For one, he had only had the treatment once and, though the nurse assured me he could resume interaction with others, I wanted him near me. By having him with me I could be certain that he wasn't rubbing his head on anyone and vice versa. We don't want him to give it to anyone and we certainly don't want anyone giving it back to him.

Yesterday we were pulling weeds and trimming rose bushes and Garrett stepped on a thorn. He was barefoot because he'd had a tantrum involving his sandals. He'd sobbed on the grass about needing them to come off. It seemed like it was nearly a matter of life and death so I removed them. We warned him repeatedly about staying away from the rose bushes. Our advice was not taken--one of the first of what is sure to be a string of many bad decisions--and a thorn embedded in his heel. Troy pulled it out swiftly and blood gushed out. He's not at the stage yet where blood is cool. No. Right now blood is terrifying. What is cool is watching your toddler hop on one foot, afraid to put the bloody one on the ground. I had no idea he'd mastered hopping on one foot.


Rarely does he speak in sentences. The other day, however, he commanded, "Ide me me me shoes." Which of course means I'd like to go outside. I need to go get my shoes. Even though I have been trying extremely hard, he refuses to say his own name. He now refers to himself as Baby. This is adorable and somewhat odd, given the fact that we rarely call him the baby anymore. Ever since we went to Disneyland, he has had a working knowledge of pirates. Or at least, pirates of the chipper Disneyland variety. He sings, "Bo Bo Bo Me Me Me Me Me." This translates roughly to, "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me." Bestill my heart.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, i can totally remember just trying to keep their eyes from the blood, because that's when the BIG freak out would happen, and that was just LAST WEEK!

    ReplyDelete