Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trevor 3

I realize this blog has become Trevor Central. I may as well just go ahead and change the name to Waitin' for Updates From the PICU. It's just that, our family has become Trevor Central as well and, while funny things are happening daily, frustrating things are happening daily, life in general is happening daily, all of it pales in comparison to the time we spend thinking about and praying for Trevor.

You all know that I believe in a mighty God. I suspect that most of you do as well because I can't imagine anyone sticking around here for very long if they didn't. (Although please keep stopping by if you don't! I'd love to try to convince you otherwise.) My amazing Lord delivered us in the 11th hour from our trial. He's continued to deliver us from our adoption related debt. My Savior saved my friend's baby when she was born with her organs on the outside. That little girl is now talking immensely more than my own almost two-year-old and walking and generally just being one of the cutest kids I've ever seen. So let me continue to express that I know my God can do whatever I ask for in prayer. The fact that Trevor is alive is testament to that. But it gets so much better than that, even.

Here is Julie's update from last night...

As I anticipated this morning, today was an exciting day. At about 10:45 they started to take him off of the paralyzing medicine and lowered the dose of sedation so Trevor could start to wake up. About an hour and a half later, he started to move his left hand and both legs. He also opened his eyes when I said his name. When the surgeon came in to do a bedside test, he asked Trevor to:

Open his eyes: yes
Wrinkle his forehead: no
Stick out his tongue: no (this was not really fair since he has a breathing tube in)
Squeeze his hand: Left - Yes, Right - tried hard
Wiggle his toes - yes
Move his legs - yes

The surgeon said he was Very, Very excited about how well he did. He also said he was pleasantly surprised. He continued to be fairly active throughout the day and then would wear himself out and sleep. He has a rattle in his chest and they think he may have pneumonia. They said this is common when someone is on a breathing tube. They immediately started antibiotics to stop this. They are hoping that tonight or tomorrow he will be awake enough to take out the breathing tube.

I was so excited today and know is it all because of the prayers that he has received. Please keep praying for him. Maci has been handling this well and it is nice to have her with us.

Thank you all so much.

Do you see? Do you see what a great God we serve?
My son has learned, in his short life, that God is Almighty, Amazing, Powerful and fully capable of anything. We've also taught him that God doesn't always answer our prayers in the way we want him to. Still, this would be a difficult concept for any small child. Oh, who am I kidding, it's a difficult concept for me sometimes. Late yesterday afternoon, on the way to the grocery store, he asked, "Mommy, can we pray for Trevor again?"
"Of course," I answered him.
"You go first," he replied. I prayed.
When I finished he shouted, "My turn now. Dear Jesus, please make my friend, Trevor, feel all better so that he can go back to his house and get out of the hospital and get the tubes off. And, God, if you want to bring him to heaven with you, that's okay, too."
Well, to be clear, we are praying emphatically that the Lord will choose to leave Trevor here on Earth for awhile longer, like 70 years or so. But my heart was so warmed that our son has picked up on the fact that we serve a God so big and wonderful that, without hesitation, he can pray a four-year-old version of Your Will Be Done.


  1. I got chills when I read the update, what wonderful news! Continual prayers for Trevor!
    Kerri Brown-Ramona Ca

  2. As we don't know Trevor, we can't begin to know what this family is going through but we can only hope our prayers for all of you from Idaho will help to give much needed guidance and strength.