Monday, February 14, 2011

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

The first time ever I saw your face
I thought the sun rose in your eyes
And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave
To the dark and the empty skies

Five years ago today I went in for my first official ultrasound. Oh sure, I'd seen the baby at 7 weeks and 9 weeks--reproductive endocrinologists are all about seeing those teeny tiny little bean shaped babies--but my first "real" ultrasound was done at about 16 weeks. That's because they told me that the baby's risk of having Down's Syndrome was higher than average. They got me in quickly and much earlier than I would have without this particular red flag.

While the ultrasound very nearly ruled out Down's, we were never 100% sure, until our son was born. It didn't matter. That isn't to say that it wouldn't have changed our lives in countless ways, it's simply to say that the first time I saw my baby's face, the sun rose in those eyes. The first time my baby raised his hand and waved at me, the first time I laid my own eyes on his beautiful face, the moon and stars may just as well have all belonged to me.

Five years ago, I saw my firstborn's face for the very first time. And love took on a whole new meaning.


Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

(Let's all just go on pretending that my fetus isn't on his way to being a five-year-old!)

3 comments:

  1. YOu can pretend what ever age you want Garrett to be. I am pretending Brian is turning 5 this year. And Jess is my little toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I know it's pretty impossible to ACTUALLY see Garrett in that baby's face... but I can ;-) So sweet you know that it was 5 years exactly - and GOOD GRIEF hit the pause button that boy cannot be working on 5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time this Valentines day! It was a great way to celebrate :-)

    ReplyDelete