Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Garrett & Jesus

On Sunday, after I set up the table for communion, Garrett was fiddling with one of the bread lids.

Me: No, no, no! Don't do that, Garrett. This is something really special for Jesus.
G: (His eyes widened with the excitement of Christmas and his birthday all rolled into one) Jesus is coming today?

And except for the fact that I believe there are still a whole lot of lost that need reaching, in that moment, I wanted nothing more than for my three-year-old to see Jesus in the flesh that very moment. Later that day, he got in a hefty amount of trouble. He'd found a cough drop and asked me if he could eat it. I'd said no. He'd eaten it anyway. As Troy talked to him about what he'd done and what he needed to do, Garrett looked up at the ceiling and began, "Sorry Jesu-" stopping mid sentence he shifted his eyes down and stared at his chest. He started over, "Sorry Jesus in my heart."

3 comments: