Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How Mercy Looks From Here

I'm completely unashamed about my deep and enduring love for Amy Grant. It's a devotion that has continued for somewhere around 23 years. I'm only sad that I can't claim to have followed her since her first album--but it's not exactly my fault that I wasn't born until 1981.

I found out that she would be performing at the fair just two days before my birthday and I immediately texted my friend, another Grant lover, and asked her if she wanted to go. She said yes, I bought tickets, and we're set to see her in a few months. I think it will be the fourth time I'll have seen her perform live.

I stumbled upon her new song, Don't Try So Hard, just a few weeks before I spoke at a conference about the pursuit of perfection. The album wasn't even released yet. I was instantly in love with the song and I played part of it at the conference.

Last weekend, I went to our local Christian book store and I used a gift card to purchase the album. I only knew Don't Try So Hard and I really hate to buy an entire CD for one song. But, with Amy Grant, it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I pretty much love all the tracks. The only problem with it is that the songs all make me want to cry. A lot of them are slow, ballad-type, songs. Her voice--which I once heard described as fine wine that only gets better with age--is beautiful, the arrangements and instruments blend together just right and I want to weep. Music does that to me. I'm oddly unemotional when someone might be watching me. I'm not one of those women who cries at everything--even if sobbing would be right and appropriate. It's as though I'm dead inside. But give me music with the right combination of voices and instruments and I'm crying like a baby.

Anyway.

On the album, I discovered this...


And I am now in a deep, committed relationship with a song.

I love the blending of the voices.

I love the guitars. And the drums.

I love the line, "Every breath taking me closer."

I love the line, "Eternity's on the other side."

I love the line, "Singing praises up to a king. 'Cause he died for a crowd deep as it is wide."

I'm just one of the vast expanse of people that my Savior died for. But He would have done it for one.

Luke 15:4-7 "Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

No comments:

Post a Comment