Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Week 9: Eternal Love

When I first saw the theme for this week, I instantly thought of wedding pictures or shots of me with my newborn babies. I even thought of a beautiful picture I have of Matthew's mother snuggling him. But when I really began to dissect it I had to remember that the theme wasn't "Love" or "Long-lasting Love" or "Deep and Abiding Love." 

The theme was simply (and infinitely more than simply) stated, "Eternal Love."

Eternal: [ih-tur-nl] adjective. Without beginning or end; lasting forever; always existing.

Our love for our children, while intense and without end, has a clear beginning--even though we can rarely remember a moment without them. Our love for our spouses certainly originated somewhere, sometime, long after we came to be. This left me with the realization that eternal love exists solely in the character of God Himself. Since fallible human beings all have a clear beginning, we are not capable of eternal love.

So, what to photograph? 

Christ's love for us had no beginning. It had no end. It's been there eternally. Before God created the heavens and the earth, His Son knew He would die for us. The timeless plan was finished on that day on Calvary but the love goes on. It will exist when there is a new heaven and a new earth. It simply is. And was. And will be. For eternity.

John 15:13--Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment