Monday, December 13, 2010

Offering Plate

Holding a shiny penny, my son approached me. His eyes were fixed to it and he quietly said, "Mommy, I want to give this money to God." My heart melted. Of all the ways he could use that shiny penny. He could slide it through the slot in his piggy bank, listening for it to make the glorious clink as it bounced off other saved pennies, nickles and dimes. He could carry it around in his pocket, pulling it out in the checkout line and asking me if he could buy a whole candy bar with it. He could use it as treasure when he engages in a rousing game of pirates. But my boy wanted to give his money to God.

"Oh. I think that is such a good idea." I replied.

He took the penny and tapped it against his heart three times. "But how do I get it in here?" He asked, knowing that the Lord lives in his heart.

I smiled. "Well, honey, if you want to give money to God, the best way to do it is to put it in the offering plate at church. All of the money in the offering plate is for God."

That was on Friday.

On Sunday I went to pick him up from Sunday school. His teacher handed me a card. "We made cards today. Garrett said he made his for God. He wants me to give it to Him. Since I'm not entirely sure how to do that, I thought maybe you could take care of it." She explained, making each and every word very pointed. As if to say, You and I both know we can't mail God a card so have fun dealing with this one.

"OH! Um. I don't think I quite know either so maybe," I looked at my son, "we'll ask daddy." Putting this little predicament squarely on the shoulders of my pastor husband sounded like as good a plan as any.

"Mom!" He looked up at me with shiny eyes as he shoved the last bite of his snack into his mouth. "We just put it in the offering plate. That's where we put things we want to give to God."

7 comments:

  1. That was truely awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, what a sweet, sweet story. What an amazing little boy he is! Thanks for posting this. :)
    Kerri Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you have to go and have the cutest kids ever? The bar has been set so very high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story, it made me melt a little :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to be the one to put a damper on things, but as one of the people who count the offering, what are we supposed to do with it?! :)

    ReplyDelete