Thursday, November 15, 2012

Boots

I grew up in southern California. We did not have to pack gloves and hats in our backpacks before we left for school. We didn't have to wear a thick winter jacket so that we didn't freeze to death during recess. We didn't need boots.

Wait, what?

Apparently I'm supposed to send boots with my kid.

"Mommy, my feet were cold at recess," he tells me.

"I'm sorry," I say, thinking that there is no solution to this problem.

"Can I take my boots tomorrow?" he asks, "Grayson had his boots in his backpack and he put them on before recess."

Thankfully, it was much warmer and he didn't need to take his boots to school today. But I need help here. What am I supposed to do when there is a thick layer of snow on the ground?

1. Send him in sneakers because recess is ten minutes long and he certainly won't die in that amount of time.

2. Send him in the boots because a kindergartner being responsible for a hat, two gloves, a jacket, two boots and two regular shoes is just a recipe for an epic catastrophe.

3. Send him in shoes with his boots in his backpack and not worry that he's only going to come home with three out of four pieces of footwear.

4. Move him out of the tundra and stop losing precious minutes of my life worrying about boots.

Votes, please.

1 comment:

  1. I have this same problem in BuffaloNew York. I bought an w tea cheap pair of boots and snow pants - he leaves them there!

    ReplyDelete