Saturday, December 20, 2008

Two Weeks of Christmas Memories: Episode 9

If you've been reading my blog for, oh, a day, you probably know that I'm a proud card carrying member of the Amy Grant fan club. And you know what, I didn't apologize for it in the seventh grade as I belted out Galileo on the beach in San Diego so I'm not going to apologize for it now, in the mountains of Utah. Okay, so I'm really not actually in her fan club but I'm a definite fan. Partly it's because I can sing most of her songs...so thankful am I that she's not a natural soprano. Partly it's because I just love the sound of her music. And now, it is partly because I've been to two of her concerts.

One such concert was when I was in college. My mom and I went to the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim and saw her Christmas concert. It was the second time I'd seen her live and the first time I'd seen her come out in a gorgeous Christmas dress and then promptly throw an acoustic guitar over the ensemble. She just comes across as being so normal. So relatable.

And, of course, there was eager anticipation of hearing, live, Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song). I've loved this song from the very first time I heard it. It always makes me think of what it must have been like for Mary on that night, so many, many years ago. And it makes me think, even, of my own self. God certainly didn't choose me to carry his only son but he has chosen me for many things which, if he wasn't God Almighty, I would consider an error in judgement.

As she sang the lyrics that were long ago imprinted on my own heart, the arena fell desperately quiet and we soaked in the magic of the words as we transcended time and entered, somehow, that holy night...

BREATH OF HEAVEN
I have traveled
Many moonless nights
Cold and weary
With a babe inside
And I wonder
What I've done
Holy Father
You have come
Chosen me now
To carry your son
I am waiting
in a silent prayer
I am frightened
by the load I bear
In a world as cold as stone
Must I walk this path alone
Be with me now
Be with me now
Breath of Heaven
Hold me together
Be forever near me
Breath of Heaven
Breath of Heaven
Lighten my darkness
Pour over me, your holiness
For you are holy
Breath of Heaven
Do you wonder
As you watch my face
If a wiser one
should of had my place
But I offer all I am
For the mercy of your plan
Help me be strong
Help me be
Help me

No comments:

Post a Comment