Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Story of...

How have I lived my entire life without ever knowing about this short film?

It was made by Disney in 1946. The first part is an educational description of, well, why women menstruate. The second half is hysterical.

It includes such quotable gems as:

"Try not to throw yourself off schedule by catching cold."

"Some girls have a little less pep, a feeling of pressure in the lower part of the body, perhaps an occasional twinge or a touch of nerves. But don't let it get you down. After all, no matter how you feel, you have to live with people. You have to live with yourself, too. And once you stop feeling sorry for yourself, and take those days in your stride, you'll find it easier to keep smiling and even tempered."

"Exercises to relieve cramps are illustrated in the booklet. Try them. With the guidance of a qualified person, you may find they help."

"Incidentally, it's smart to keep looking smart. That well groomed feeling will give you new poise and lift your morale. Especially when it's backed up with year round fresh air and sunshine and plenty of rest and sleep. Because the best possible insurance against trouble on those days is healthy living every day."

Oh my goodness. Seriously. So hilarious.

To the three boys who read my blog...I'm sorry. To the five women who read it, WATCH THIS TEN MINUTE FILM. It will not change your life, but it will crack you up. Specifically between 7:25-8:06. Those were some of the best seconds of my life. You're all very welcome.

3 comments:

  1. "And once you stop feeling sorry for yourself..." Let's put that right up there on the Top Ten Things NEVER to Say to a Woman on Her Period or She Will Punch You in the Face list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually remember seeing this when I was in school. They used to bring the girls together once a year and show us a "maturation film". My how times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness by the time I started my period in something like 1970, we were allowed to take showers! I think I might have seen this in school. Or something very similar.

    ReplyDelete