Monday, March 4, 2013

In Christ Alone

"Every effort to remake the Christian faith leads to wickedness. Every effort to adjust the gospel so that it appears more appealing, more palatable, is foolishness. But ironically, we think we can save Christianity by changing Christianity. We think the gospel needs our help." -Matt Chandler The Explicit Gospel

I'm not gonna lie. I see myself in this.

I'm not bold enough--I won't nod my head in agreement but I won't belt out, "You're wrong!" when someone says, "It's really about finding spirituality and connecting with the universe in whatever way works for you."

"No. It isn't," I want to say but don't.

Because I believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God. If you believe there is more to life than birth and death and the beauty and pain in between, if you believe that there is a God and He sent His Son to die so that we could be saved, then there is only one thing left to conclude.

Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)

He also said, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." (Matthew 7:13-14)

If you don't believe that, then I wonder how you have any real peace at all.

Because there is no peace in death without the hope of life again. There is no peace in every religion being right and true any more than there is peace in two plus two equaling four or five or eleven. There is no peace in a religion invented or warped by a man unless that man is Christ Jesus himself.

And so I hope that I remember, always, that the gospel doesn't need my help. The Good News stands alone. I need only to share my experience.

In Christ I have found peace. In Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment