Monday, June 3, 2019

To Will, on Your Third Birthday

Hey Kid,

You're 3. I just went back and read through the "Hey Kid" series because, while it isn't exactly a story I could forget, life gets moving and it becomes increasingly more difficult to remember to reflect on the incredible way God brought you to us. I suppose that this blog is a bit like the stones of remembrance piled up by Joshua. When you ask me in times to come what these "stones" mean, I will let you know that my journey to you is like the drying up of the waters of the Jordan. I will tell you that our being together is as though we crossed that river on dry ground. I will remember and I will tell all the people of the earth that the hand of the LORD is mighty. (From Joshua 4:21-24)

You are incredible. A series of contradictions running around in the most coordinated of toddler bodies. You are sweet and spicy, kind and ever so naughty, rarely calm but somehow calming, tender but tough. You are part of Newton's first law existing in human form. A body in motion will remain in motion...

Pretty much.

And a body that is scared at night will climb into its mother's arms and wrap limb around limb like entwined octopuses. A body that used to sleep perfectly through the night will suddenly have terrors and all bets are off and the parents are tired. A body that doesn't want to will basically refuse to potty train even though that same body is absolutely capable of doing it and even though the aforementioned parents want to be done buying diapers and also would like to stop scraping poop out of tiny underwear. A body in motion will remind its parents that being a toddler is sometimes rough but it is also, perhaps, the most hysterical, adorable time in a person's whole life.

You were so excited about your birthday this year. Whenever anyone asked you what you wanted, you only ever replied, "A cake party and a gift card." Naturally, we had to buy a giant Costco cake because it was really a go big or go home kind of request. You wanted a baseball cake--because you're obsessed--and you joined in with the chorus of friends singing yourself Happy Birthday. We invited our Community Life Group and a few others to celebrate with you and you were positively darling. Your eyes were lit up like chocolate sparkles. One of your friends walked in with a balloon and you so nicely told her, "I love your balloon!" before being made aware that it was for you. Your first gift card came to the party and you were so happy to receive it. What a funny little guy you are.

What you lack in potty training ability, you make up for in your command of the entire English language. I know everyone else will catch up and the fact that you talked early and impressively will not be such a big deal. But for now, you know ALL THE WORDS. (Or, at least, a whole lot of them.) I basically think you're brilliant but I may be entirely biased.

You are the most coordinated just three-year-old that I have ever, ever seen. You can smack a ball off a tee and, if accurately pitched, you can hit one in midair. You can balance on your bike and zoom around the backyard on your brand new birthday scooter. (Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa!) Your climbing skills astound and you can catch a football from across the room. So, I mean, really, what can't you do? TELL US WHEN YOU HAVE TO GO POOP AND THEN DO IT ON THE POTTY, THAT'S WHAT!

(I hope you are reading this as, I don't know, a fully functional adult who is toilet trained. I really hope that because if you're twenty and I still have to reward you with an M&M for using the potty instead of a Pull-Up we've got a lot of big issues.)

One day, not long ago, I was upset about a thing. I was upset and then I drove our van right over a bird who didn't get out of the way. By the time I realized he wasn't going to move, it was too late. The tire thudded right over that unsuspecting fowl and I burst into tears. From the backseat, your little voice came, soothing and gentle, "Mommy, don't cry. It was an accident. It's OK. Mommy, I will take good care of you." Then you softly sang Jesus Loves Me. When you completed the song, you whispered, "It's OK. I'm right here." My darling boy, you have listened. You have heard me as I rub your back and tell you that I am here.

I love you so much. You make me laugh every single day. You are a joy gift from the real Joy Giver. I lose myself in your gorgeous eyes and endless curls (except right now you've got a summer shorter cut but they'll grow back). I am so proud of you and so very blessed to be able to call myself your mom.

Always, No Matter What,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment