Monday, July 15, 2013

A Week Is Never Enough

A week at the lake is never enough. 

There are never enough early mornings when Tahoe is smooth as glass.


We spent three nights in Zephyr Cove, on the southeast shore. I've been to the south side but never stayed there before. We went to Kiva Beach and to the Taylor Creek Stream Profile Chamber.


On Monday, we spent almost the entire day on the beach. It was glorious weather. Troy's sister and her family surprised us by coming up to the lake a day early. We saw our friends who live in Auburn, played hard at the beach, roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.

One week at Tahoe is not enough swimming, sleeping, and fetching for our golden retriever.


That night, with our friends still hanging out at our campsite, we saw a bear. Again. Two years ago, while we were camping in Tahoe City, the same friends came up to visit and there was a bear in our campsite. Apparently, our friends, bears, and Tahoe are becoming a biannual thing.

The sister who surprised us by showing up a day early came to our campsite. She had an extra kid with her who looked a lot like a different sister's daughter. Turns out, another sister and her family decided to surprise us too. They camped one night in our campground.

On Tuesday we packed up our camp and headed north to the cabin my inlaws had rented. We passed by Emerald Bay and Eagle Falls.

A week in Tahoe isn't enough time to adequately capture the beauty of the falls. But it is enough time to try.


We stopped at the Fire Sign Cafe and had breakfast--at noon--with the first sister who surprised us and her family.

We arrived at our rental on Tuesday afternoon. It was a great cabin, perfect for our group of TWENTY.

A week in Tahoe is simply not enough time for twenty people to enjoy all that the lake and its surrounding areas have to offer.

My two youngest nieces are joined at the hip. They're like twins, separated by one year and two weeks of life.

We went to Sand Harbor. 

A week in Tahoe isn't enough time for Garrett to jump off of all the rocks he wants to jump off of.

But it is enough time to try.


His father feels the same way.


We went rafting. There were four rafts for twenty people and somehow, at the beginning, all of my nephews and my oldest son ended up with my sister and brother-in-law. They couldn't hear anything over the sheer volume so we split them up at our first stop.


A week in Tahoe isn't long enough to get twenty people to look halfway decent in a group picture. But I think it's safe to say we came pretty darn close.


My dad found this hat on the Truckee River when I was super tiny. It's almost too small for Matthew's head but it made a final trek down river with my family. Now it's time to pass it on to smaller heads.


A week in Tahoe isn't long enough for Matthew to hang out with Uncle Wade as much as he wants to.

But it is enough time to take cute pictures.


It's not enough time for me to spend with this beautiful niece who's a drama girl after my own heart. She adores my youngest son and he adores her. I wanted to bring her home with me. My life would be so much easier.


It's not enough time to spend with this gorgeous niece. She couldn't come home with me either. She has to go back to college in a few weeks.


We took another great group shot. It's a good thing I was hiding behind everyone because I had on absolutely no make up, there were s'mores stuck in my teeth, and I'd just recently hopped out of the shower. 


A week in Tahoe isn't ever enough time to capture the beauty, the solitude, the endless possibilities.


 But I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment