Friday, December 6, 2013

Let It Go

I keep driving past the movie theater and it's all I can do not to go buy myself a ticket to see Frozen again. I know. I know. I'm a full grown adult. This obsession with a Disney movie is a bit of a problem. But, seriously. Idina knocks it straight out of the park. As if I'm surprised by that.
 
 Insert some sort of transition here as I tell you that I'm going to sing a solo sometime soon here. Like an ALL BY MYSELF SINGING INTO A MICROPHONE SOLO. I don't sound like Idina Menzel. Not one single, solitary bit. I was thinking about how it's a real tragedy and shame that I am not more gifted in the singing, dancing and acting categories. Because there is next to nothing I love more* than the process of rehearsing and watching as a piece of art comes together. I mean, who loves the rehearsal process? ME! That's who.

In college I would go to rehearsals that I wasn't even called to. Just to be part of the creative process. Just to learn from the other actors. Just to become a small fraction of art.

I really just love to perform. To act. To sing. I don't get to do it that much anymore. And whenever I see a great piece of art, I wish I was still performing. Even though I was never really great at any of it. I had all the passion, all the work ethic, but not all of the talent.

A Disney movie is not theatre. Except in the case of The Lion King. And Beauty and the Beast. And Peter Pan. Okay, nevermind. A Disney movie can be theatre. But this song is reminiscent of a show stopping musical number on Broadway. So I can't help but watch it over and over again.

I mean, she sculpts an ICE CASTLE for crying out loud.

And, also, she sounds really good.

*Jesus. My husband. My family. To name just a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment