Monday, December 2, 2013

Fire & Ice

I don't get to go to the movies nearly as often as I'd like on account of the little people in my life. But, in the span of three days I've visited the theater twice. That's almost unheard of. I mean, there was that time in college when I went to see Moulin Rouge and then I went back THE VERY NEXT NIGHT TO SEE IT AGAIN but I was a theatre major and it was Baz.

On Friday we braved the crowds and took the boys to see Frozen. I knew I would love it. I knew I would want to own it and buy the soundtrack. I knew all of this before I ever saw it because I've seen the two female leads in person. I'm practically best friends forever with Kristen Bell (who does the voice for Anna) because, when I was an extra on Veronica Mars, she stepped on my shoe from behind. It came off and, as she went sprinting by, she hollered, "Sorry!" So, yes, you could say that we're pretty tight. I said practically best friends forever because I am really best friends forever with Idina Menzel (who does the voice for Elsa). I've loved Idina since I first discovered her voice back in 1999. I own her albums. I've seen her onstage in concert and off-Broadway. So of course, because of these things, we are the very best of buddies.

I loved and adored the movie. The music was wonderful, the script was hilarious and tender all rolled into one, and it was a visual sight to behold. Of course I'm still singing the songs, even days later. I want to borrow someone else's children so that I have an excuse to go see it again without being labeled as the weird creeper who keeps watching the same children's movie over and over.

Mondays are Troy's day off so today we dropped Matthew off with a friend while Garrett was at school and went to see Catching Fire. I also knew I would love Catching Fire because I loved the first film, I loved the books, and who doesn't like a good love triangle? Especially when it involves Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth and Jennifer Lawrence.

The only thing I didn't like about Catching Fire is the fact that I know I have to wait until 2015 to see how it all plays out in film. I am actually glad that they are splitting Mockingjay into two parts because there's too much there to shove it all into one. But I'm sad that I have to wait such a long time until the fourth installment comes out. I'm left thinking things like, "What if I die before then and I can't see it through?" These are the important questions in life, I know. These are certainly questions of eternal significance. Nevertheless, someone needs to promise that they'll see it for me if I meet my earthly demise before the end of 2015.

Also, can someone check up on my kids? Troy's a good dad. My boys will not go hungry. They will be well educated and biblically trained. But if I'm dead there's a good chance my children will never again make their beds. Someone needs to promise me that she'll come over and inquire as to whether or not the comforter is at least pulled up.

Regardless of the state of my boys' beds, I'm fully recommending that you run right down to the theater and buy a ticket for either fire or ice. Hunger Games or Frozen. Of course, what I'm really recommending is that you do both.

No comments:

Post a Comment