Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mrs. Becks Comes to Utah and Stays Forever

Do you see this haircut right here?


Everyone in Utah has this haircut. And by everyone I mean a very high percentage. I hadn't seen it much until I moved here. Oh sure, there was the occasional Victoria Beckham. Some other celebrities had, at one time, sported the look. I'd seen it on a head or two in San Diego a few years back. Then we moved here.

I saw it. "What a cute haircut," I thought.

I saw it again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

My mom noticed that everyone had it.

We began to refer to it as "The Utah Haircut."

It's not that I don't like it. It's just that I don't look favorably on anything that everyone does (says the girl with the long hair and the side swept bangs because no one has those things). So, even though I liked this cut on the right person (it does not work on everyone) I decided I would certainly not do it. (Especially because, what if I was one of the ones that it did not look good on?)

It was the same thing with the Miche bag which I loved and adored. It originated here in Utah and some of my friends were among the very first to have them. I saw them on my friends. So cute. I saw them in the malls. So cute. I decided I wanted one. Then, just before I was set to buy one, I started looking around. They were everywhere which is great for business but I didn't want the purse that everyone had--even if you could change the shell and make it more unique. I felt a little sad for my friends who'd been among the pioneers of this item. Although, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and kudos to them for helping to start this trend.

So back to the haircut. It's everywhere and the weird thing is, I've lived here for five and a half years and it hasn't changed. In California it doesn't seem that any trend lasts that long. So it's taken some getting used to on my part, this fact that things come to Utah and tend to stay for a good, long while. 

It's fine.

It's really, adorably cute on Matthew's teacher and she should maybe have it forever.

But now I'm seeing it on preschoolers and first graders. This once-upon-a-time Victoria Beckham hairstyle on tiny little girls? It's just so severe. So the question I pose here is this: Do we really want our grade schoolers looking like Posh Spice? Is that what we've come to here in Utah?

No comments:

Post a Comment