Happy Birthday to my four-year-old, Matthew!
What I've learned is that getting an interview with Matthew is infinitely harder than his brother. On several of these, it was as though I was throwing him into a torture chamber and pulling his teeth out one by one by one. We persevered and the finished product is some semblance of a snapshot into the life of my four-year-old.
1. What is your favorite T.V. show? Ninja Turtles. And I like Scooby-Doo. And Power Rangers.
2. What did you have for breakfast? I ate sandwich and chips and carrots and that's all the things I had. (This is most definitely what he had for lunch. I don't feed my kids chips for breakfast. Usually.)
3. What is your middle name? Matthew David Doozleberry (First, he didn't actually say Doozleberry but his last name has been changed to protect us from murderous stalkers and kidnappers. Second, the first time he answered with Matthew David John Doozleberry--John being his brother's middle name. Then he quickly repeated it without the "John." It's funny, because he does have two middle names but we never use the second one and I don't think he even knows it exists. I wonder if this will one day cause him to have a complete identity crisis. I mean, if I suddenly learned that my name was actually Lori Elizabeth Elvira, I'd have issues. Note to self: Tell Matthew he has two middle names before it's too late.)
4. Favorite Food? Taco and I like chips. (Okay.)
5. What food do you dislike? Nothing. (This is pretty much true. He doesn't like avocado. That's honestly the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that he doesn't like. The kid is a human trash compacter. He'll eat anything. Except the aforementioned avocado.)
6. What is your favorite color? Blue.
7. Favorite lunch? I like to eat sandwiches.
8. What is your favorite thing to do? Play some toys.
9. If you could anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? In an airplane to California.
10. Favorite sport? Soccer game.
11. When is your birthday? In February.
12. Are you a morning person or a night person? A night person. (This is SO true. Matthew will babble to himself long into the night but he only wants to get up on his terms. If you try waking him before he's ready to get up, be ready. He is one mighty grump.)
13. Pets? I have a kitty cat. And I have Beck.
14. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us? I'd like to share my Ninja Turtles. (I'm gonna go with, "I don't understand the question." But I am glad he likes to share.)
15. What do you want to be when you grow up? I like to be a dad. And a Power Ranger. (Ahh...the first one is so sweet. And, might I request a little girl? Pretty please? The second one--oh dear.)
16. What is your favorite candy? Um. Gum. (Today is actually the first day of his whole entire life that he's chewed gum. It must have made a big impression.)
17. Where is the farthest you've ever been from home? Legoland. (Hawaii would actually be the correct answer. But, well, Legoland made a big impression. Apparently even bigger than Hawaii. Coulda saved some serious money, is what I'm saying.)
18. What is your favorite book? The Bible. (He actually ran into the other room and returned carrying his Bible. It was pretty adorable.)
19. What are you most proud of? I'm proud that I scored four medals in soccer. (Medals, goals, what's the difference?)
20. What is your favorite movie? I like Tad! (Letter Factory)
21. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The chicken. The egg. The chicken. (It was all very confusing.)
And, for fun, I asked him the same questions that James Lipton asks at the end of Inside the Actor's Studio.
1. What is your favorite word? Matthew (I'm so glad he likes his name.)
2. What is your least favorite word? Dang it.
3. What turns you on? (I rephrased with, "What do you like?") I like clapping hands and singing.
4. What turns you off? (I rephrased with, "What don't you like?") I don't like Barbies.
5. What sound or noise do you love? I like music
6. What sound or noise do you hate? I don't like this one, "RRRAAAWWW!" (I wish you could have seen the actions that accompanied this sound.)
7. What is your favorite curse word? (I asked him what his favorite bad word is.) Knucklehead.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I want to fix toys.
9. What profession would you not like to do? I don't want to wash the cannon. (Somehow I don't think this is something he needs to worry about being forced to do.)
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? (I omitted the "If Heaven exists" part) I want Him to say, "Thank you, you did awesome." (Ahhh.)